Every year there are crazy world records. The Guinness World Records 2021-22 also contains some of the weirdest and most bizarre records made by people who, well, want to be known for those records.
We’ve picked out some of the craziest, wackiest, and weirdest for you.
1. Wear 10 masks in less than 10 seconds: Covid-19 has taught us a lot, and wearing a mask (correctly) is one of them. But who would have thought that wearing a mask could also be used to set a world record. A British man named George Peel did. Peel’s name is in the book for wearing 10 surgical masks in just 7.35 seconds.
2. Chug Chug Chug… Eric from New York drank 2 liters of soda in 18.45 seconds. The video shared by Guinness World Records shows him pouring the drink into a measuring cup and then downing it all at once.
3. Loudest burp ever: Some records make our eyes roll; this one made us bleed. The world record for the loudest burp currently belongs to Australian Neville Sharp. The human burp is measured at 112.4 decibels. If you think that’s absurd, consider this: it actually broke the previous record of 109.9 decibels.
4. A woman managed to stop an electric fan with her tongue: The Zoe Ellis record was our parents’ nightmare come true. She managed to stop electric fans (yes, plural) with her tongue 32 times in one go…and didn’t hurt herself. (Tongue of steel?)
5. Big Human Hair Ball: Rieply, a franchise in the United States, managed to get 1,600 people to donate streaks or whole hair to create a giant ball of human hair… which they named ‘Hoss’.
6. Most robot jumps: This Japanese robot developed by Penta-X can jump more times than normal humans. He recorded 170 jumps in one minute.
7. Eat Bhut Jolokia: Bhut Jolokia, one of the spiciest peppers who is mostly responsible for YouTube headlines like “hot sauce challenge gone wrong”, was actually eaten by Greg Foster in 7.47 seconds. He set the record on November 16, 2021 by eating three Bhut Jolokia peppers in 7.47 seconds. (brb, eating ice cream)