At the University of Nevada, Reno, the Registrar oversees the Admissions and Records Department which serves as the custodian of institutional academic records of student admissions, enrollment, and degrees. The University follows the Nevada higher education system Records Retention Policy based on AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) and FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). University-specific policies are available in the University administrative manual.
- Electronic documents: All students have an electronic file in the OnBase hosted document management system. In each file, the received documents are kept by document type, such as high school transcript, vaccination, registration note, change of grade, FERPA publication, etc. Each type of document may contain an automated retention and disposition process in accordance with NSHE and University policies. The security of each type of document is maintained by the Associate Registrar of Operations in accordance with ILO (Office of Information Technology) security policies.
- Student Information System: An on-premises environment of Peoplesoft Campus Solutions serves as the University SIS (Student Information System). Peoplesoft contains student records of admissions, enrollment, financial aid, charges, and payments, as well as progress and graduation. Peoplesoft also stores a record of the production and publication of transcripts. The security of each type of data is assigned to security roles in accordance with ILO security policies. A disaster recovery system is in place as well as several environments with regular data updates. A reporting data warehouse is also refreshed nightly and stores historical census files of primary student record data points.
- Historical Transcripts: Copies of transcripts of academic work before the data was stored in Peoplesoft are stored offsite with Puliz Records Management in addition to being stored electronically in OnBase. The Associate Registrar of Operations, Registrar, and Associate Vice President of Enrollment Services can access it.
- National Student Clearinghouse: The University partners with the National Student Clearinghouse for enrollment reporting, enrollment verification, and degree verification. Records are maintained by the National Student Clearinghouse and are available to the Associate Registrar of Operations, Registrar, and Associate Vice President.
- Records of student correspondence are retained in accordance with NSHE/University policy within the Slate and TargetX hosted recruitment platforms, TeamDynamix incident management system and Office 365.
- University Catalogs: Hard copies of the annual University Catalogs are kept in perpetuity within Admissions and Records and with Library Services. Electronic copies of University catalog are archived annually and available on the UNR website from 2012-2013.
- Curriculum Approval: Electronic curriculum approvals for new courses/programs or changes are maintained in the hosted Curriculog system as of 2012-2013 and in the archives of the Provost’s Office.
- Commencement Programs: Hard copies of each Commencement Program are kept in Admissions and Records and on file with Library Services.
- Student Information System: Academic calendars, reimbursement schedules, class schedules, and course registration data are stored in Peoplesoft Campus Solutions’ on-site student information system. The security of each type of data is assigned to security roles in accordance with ILO security policies. A disaster recovery system is in place as well as several environments with regular data updates.